Cocaine is a powerful and highly addictive stimulant that is easy to become addicted to. For many, what starts off as “recreational use” quickly spirals out of control, leaving the user asking, “Am I addicted to cocaine?”
The following are 10 signs that you may have a cocaine problem:
- You spend more than you can afford on your cocaine habit
Are you finding that you no longer have money to spend on anything other than cocaine? Rather than cutting back on your cocaine use, are you trying to figure out ways to make more money? Have you turned to illegal or high risk behaviors in order to make money in order to pay for your addiction?
- You attempt to cut back on your using or quit entirely but find that you can’t
This is a strong indicator that you are addicted to cocaine.
- You dropped old friends for new friends who also use cocaine
Individuals who have a problem with cocaine will either attempt to hide their use, or drop their real friends for other cocaine users so they don’t have to worry about getting caught or “found out.”
- You feel like you function better when you are using cocaine
Do you feel like you need to use cocaine to wake up in the morning? To go out and have fun at night? To get things done at work/school?
- Your work/school work is suffering as a result of your use
Have you started missing days at work/school? Turning in assignments late or not at all? Have you lost your job or been kicked out of school as a result of your cocaine use?
- You have been arrested as a result of your drug use
This is not “bad luck.” If you were arrested either directly or indirectly as a result of your use, it is because you have a cocaine problem.
- You have tried to replace cocaine with another substance
It is not the substance itself that is the problem. Addicts that try to switch substances are really just switching addictions.
- You have experienced physical consequences as a result of your using
Cocaine abuse can cause stroke, panic attacks, heart problems, increased blood pressure, stomach problems and more.
- You spend all of you time thinking about how to get more
If you don’t have any, you are thinking about how to get some. If you do have some, it never seems like enough.
- You feel ashamed or depressed the day after
When you use, all of your problems go away. You feel like you can handle anything. When you run out, it can feel like your whole world is crumbling.
If you are concerned that you may be addicted to cocaine, There is a Solution can help. Remember it is just a confidential phone call and the chance to speak honestly with someone about your cocaine use. The staff at There is a Solution is made up of addictions professionals who can help you determine if you are addicted to cocaine and if you need professional drug treatment. We can also help you determine the level of treatment required and which facility is most appropriate for your needs.